This course will provide participants with essential tools for clinical examination and intervention of persons following a stroke, across the continuum of care. Common impairments, activity restrictions, and participation limitations will be discussed. Evidence based interventions specific to the rehabilitation and recovery of basic mobility following stroke will be presented. Participants will have opportunities to see and work through examples and practice application of information through lecture and hands on labs.
Course Dates & Locations
A certificate of attendance for 15 Contact Hours will be awarded to each participant. All Therapy Network Seminars are pre‐approved for CEUs in the state where the course is conducted when required for PT, OT, & Assistants.
AOTA Approved Provider of Continuing Education # 3073 Category 1 Domain of OT. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsements of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA
This is an intermediate level workshop for PT, PTA, OT, and OTA.
NOTE: Nothing in this course is to enable or permit the learner to apply techniques outside of the scope of practice in their individual state and discipline.
- Identify the concepts of neuroplasticity, recovery versus compensation, and motor learning/motor control as it relates to acute stroke rehabilitation.
- Identify research evidence on best practice in acute stroke rehabilitation, as well as rehab in the subacute and chronic phases of stroke.
- Identify and perform specific clinical examination of posture/alignment in supine and sitting, balance, gait, and functional mobility.
- Identify common postural abnormalities and movement disorders following stroke.
- Identify and practice treatment strategies and handling skills to facilitate improved alignment in supine, and improved, upright posture in sitting and standing.
- Demonstrate concepts of normal movement and handling skills into functional mobility.
- Identify general precautions and handling strategies for the hemiplegic upper extremity.
- Demonstrate treatment strategies /handling techniques to promote increased and prevention of learned non-use of the affected side in persons with hemiplegia.
- Identify and demonstrate the common gait deviations and causative impairments present following stroke.
- Identify the evidence regarding gait recovery following stroke.
- Apply knowledge of gait impairments and deviations to create the appropriate interventions, and/or assistive device and orthotic prescription.
- “Relatable & descriptive patient presentations and treatment examples”
- “Great labs & tx ideas for activities requiring little or no tools”
- “Jill was very animated and fun. Kept me engaged all weekend”
- “Very well organized, easy to follow and very funny instructor”
- “Great course. I got more out of this than I thought I would”
- “Tx Tech’s, demos, pt scenarios, evidence based and hilarious”
- “..how to obtain resources, new research, great teaching style”
- " This was the best neuro course I have ever taken .. The instructor was phenomenal."
- "Great interdisciplinary approach. Nice Job"
8:00 Registration and Continental Breakfast 8:30 Neuroplasticity and neuro recovery update in stroke rehab across the continuum – what’s the evidence
10:00 BREAK 10:15 Intensity of Practice 12:00 LUNCH (ON YOUR OWN) 1:00 Motor Learning Concepts applied to Stroke Recovery
3:00 BREAK 3:15 LAB: Motor Learning Continued 5:30 ADJOURN
8:00 Identification of common postural and movement disorders post stroke, including gait
10:00 BREAK 10:15 Examination and evaluation – Functional Outcome measures and what to do with them
12:00 LUNCH (ON YOUR OWN) 1:00 LAB: Management of the hemiplegic UE 2:00 LAB: Interventions to improve postural Control in sitting and standing for functional activity
3:00 BREAK 3:15 LAB: Interventions to improve balance and gait recovery
5:00 Q/A AND COURSE EVALUATION
Registration fee less a $75 administrative charge is refundable if cancellation received 14 days prior to program date. No refunds will be given after that time. Therapy Network, Inc. reserves the right to cancel a seminar and will refund in full the registration fee only. TNI is NOT responsible for registrants nonrefundable airfare, accommodations or fees.