This lab intensive course presents both Soft Tissue Mobilization (STM) and Muscle Energy Techniques (MET) for the cervical and upper thoracic spines, upper ribs and shoulder regions. The participants will be instructed in the science and principles of these techniques along with an overview of the anatomy and biomechanics of the regions. The laboratory sessions will include demonstration followed by opportunity to practice these hands-on evaluation and treatment techniques under the supervision of your instructor. This course will provide the participant with the understanding and necessary skills to apply these techniques in the clinic environment.
Course Dates & Locations
A certificate of attendance for 15 Contact Hours will be awarded to each participant. All Therapy Network Seminars are pre‐approved for CEUs in the state where the course is conducted when required for PT, OT, ATs & Assistants.
BOC Board of Certification, Inc. Approved Provider # P‐2563
AOTA Approved Provider of Continuing Education # 3073 Category 1 Domain of OT. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsements of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA
Level of Instruction: Intermediate
This course is intended for PTs, PTAs, OTs, OTAs and ATs
NOTE: Nothing in this course is to enable or permit the learner to apply techniques outside of the scope of practice in their individual state and discipline.
- Identify the principles of STM & MET.
- Demonstrate select STM techniques for the shoulder, cervical-thoracic spine and chest regions.
- Demonstrate select MET to address joint dysfunctions at the upper thoracic spine, the first rib, the lower and upper cervical spine and the shoulder complex..
- Demonstrate select MET to address muscular imbalances at the neck and shoulder complexes.
- Demonstrate select exercises for the regions.
- “EXCELLENT!! ...Terry was terrific and made sure everyone was comfortable with the techniques before moving onto something new”
- “Loved all the lab time afforded with this course. ”
- “Terry was fantastic!! ...extremely helpful and made everyone in the class feel comfortable asking questions.”
- “Great balance between lecture and lab. Handouts were organized and will be easy to replicate for
use in the clinic.”
- “Just what I was looking for. Thanks !!”
8:00 Registration and Continental Breakfast 8:30 Anatomy: Muscles, Fascia & Joint
- Principles Effects and Physiology of Soft Tissue Mobilization (STM) and Muscle Energy Techniques (MET)
10:00 BREAK 10:15 Anatomy and Biomechanics of the Cervical and Thoracic Spines and Ribs 11:30 Evaluation Process 12:00 LUNCH (on your own) 1:00 Demonstration and Practice Labs
- Palpation of Landmarks
1:30 MET for the Cervical Spine Lab 3:00 BREAK 3:15 MET for the Upper Thoracic Spine Lab 5:30 Q/A and Adjourn
8:00 MET for Upper Ribs Lab
Elevated First Rib
9:30 Anatomy and Biomechanics of the Shoulder
- Glenohumeral Joint
- Acromioclavicular Joint
- Sternoclavicular Joint
- Scapulothoracic “Joint”
- Prevention of Acute Shoulder Dysfunction in the Immobile Patient
- Interactive Videos of Shoulder Mechanics
10:00 BREAK 10:15 Demonstration and Practice Labs
- Palpation of Landmarks
- Muscle Length Assessment
- STM for Neck
12:00 LUNCH (on your own) 1:00 Practice Labs Continued
- STM for the Neck, Chest, Upper Back and Shoulder
3:00 BREAK 3:15 MET for Shoulder Girdle Lab 4:00 Home Exercise Program 5:00 Q/A & Adjourn
Registration fee less a $75 administrative charge is refundable if cancellation received 14 days prior to program date. No refunds will be given after that time. Therapy Network, Inc. reserves the right to cancel a seminar and will refund in full the registration fee only. TNI is NOT responsible for registrants nonrefundable airfare, accommodations or fees.