With the advent of direct access, a shift toward primary care referrals, and recent legislation it is becoming more likely that clinicians will play a pivotal role in identifying patients’ who need a radiographic evaluation. The course first reviews evidence-based guidelines for ordering a radiographic evaluation as well as the basics of reviewing radiographs. The course then presents the clinician with valuable information needed to recognize what views typically comprise a radiographic evaluation for a particular joint, as well as views required for identifying specific pathology.
Level of Instruction: Introduction
- Identify factors that contribute to the visualization of a radiographic image
- Identify standard radiographic views for the spine and extremity joints
- Identify basic anatomy on a radiographic view of the spine, knee, ankle, and foot
- Identify specialty radiographic views for pathology of the spine
- Brief overview of ordering guidelines and clinical prediction rules for spine, knee, ankle, and foot
- The basics of viewing radiographs: density, distortion, and positioning
- Radiographic views and anatomy of the spine, knee, ankle, and foot
- Q/A Session and Adjourn
- Dr. Morey J. Kolber, PT, PhD, OCS, Cert MDT
Dr. Morey J. Kolber, PT, PhD, OCS, Cert MDT, CSCS*D, is an associate professor in the physical therapy department at Nova Southeastern University in Fort Lauderdale Florida where he teaches courses in orthopaedics and diagnostic imaging. He has taught courses in radiographic imaging in the professional and post-graduate settings for well over 10-years throughout the United States. In addition to his academic appointment, Dr. Kolber is an active clinician serving as the Director of Physical Therapy for Boca Raton orthopaedic Group in Boca Raton, Florida. He holds a board certification in orthopaedics through the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties and serves on the committee of content experts for the orthopaedic certification specialist examination. Dr. Kolber is currently the associate editor in chief for Strength and Conditioning Journal and North American Editor for Physical Therapy Reviews Journal.
Contact Hours: 1.5