Strength training should be the foundation for improvement in performance and the reduction of injuries in the athletic patient. This webinar will cover the physiology of muscle adaptation to exercise and supplements to consider for enhancing strength training. The course will also review the science of strength training with considerations of pathology and post- surgical intervention. Practice guidelines will be presented for the development of a strength training program replicable in your clinic and practice.
Level of Instruction: Intermediate
- Identify the appropriate amount of resistance for strengthening muscle
- Identify how to strength train to make adaptations in muscle
- Identify the difference between strength, endurance, explosive weight training, and eccentric loading
- Identify what high intensity strength training means
- What is the difference between Type I and Type II fibers - The practical aspect of muscle physiology as it relates to strength training
- Neuromuscular adaptations and physiological adaptations how and how long does it that?
- Muscle strength training guidelines: sets, reps, resistance, weekly sessions.
- Enhancing strength training by use of appropriate supplements
- Dr. Robert Donatelli, PT, PhD, OCS
Dr. Donatelli is a clinician, researcher, author, and educator and considered one of the leading experts in the treatment and prevention of upper and lower extremity injuries in the world. Dr. Donatelli has an extensive list of accomplishments and titles within his profession, including national director of Sports Rehabilitation Physiotherapy Associates; personal physical therapist for Andy Roddick, ATP tour; physical therapist for the PGA Tour; consultant for the Philadelphia Phillies and Milwaukee Brewers; and clinic director of an outpatient facility providing sports and orthopedic rehabilitation. Dr. Donatelli has rehabilitated numerous professional athletes and was the physical therapist for the Champions Tour of Tennis, which included tennis legends Jimmy Conners and John McEnroe. He is the editor of Physical Therapy of the Shoulder 4th Edition, Orthopedic Physical Therapy 3rd Edition, and Sports Specific Rehabilitation. Dr. Donatelli has taught orthopedic topics throughout the United States, and in Canada, England, Romania, Australia, Sweden, China, and more.
Contact Hours: 1.5