This two-day course provides participants with skills and strategies to address the complex problems of balance dysfunction and falls in geriatric and neurologic clients. Participants will further develop their skills in identifying individuals at risk for falls and conducting a comprehensive evaluation to guide intervention. Assessment skills based on key risk factors for balance dysfunction and objective outcomes will be emphasized. Evidence-based and best practice treatment strategies provide participants with a variety of skills to address different aspects of balance dysfunction. The course will also focus on utilization of standardized assessment measures and treatment strategies across client functional levels. Assessment procedures and treatment techniques will be demonstrated and reinforced with hands on practice time and case studies to allow for integration of the material.
Course Dates & Locations
A certificate of attendance for 15 Contact Hourswill be awarded to each participant. All Therapy Network Seminars are pre‐approved for CEUs in the state where the course is conducted when required for PT, OT, ATC & Assistants.
BOC Board of Certification, Inc. Approved Provider # P‐2563
AOTA Approved Provider of Continuing Education # 3073 Category 1 Domain of OT. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsements of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA
This course is intended for PTs, PTAs, OTs, OTAs and ATs
NOTE: Nothing in this course is to enable or permit the learner to apply techniques outside of the scope of practice in their individual state and discipline.
- Identify factors that contribute to balance dysfunction and falls
- Demonstrate assessment of multiple dimensions of balance, mobility, and fall risk
- Identify appropriate standardized balance, mobility and fall risk assessment tools based on client functional level
- Identify effective interventions to improve balance and mobility and reduce fall risk
- Develop a comprehensive balance training and fall risk reduction program for clients with balance dysfunction
- “Very good instructor! Very knowledgeable / apparent that she enjoys her work”
- “Great course. I can use this information for several pt populations”
- “Offered techniques I can use day one (tomorrow) in the clinic”
- “Dr. Schrodt was very knowledgeable and kept my attention. Well presented and informative.”
- "I have been a PT for 30 years and have never given an instructor such high evaluation scores as this one"
8:00 Registration & Continental Breakfast 8:30 Balance Dysfunction and Falls Identifying Risk Factors 10:00 BREAK 10:15 Key Components of Balance
Balance Dysfunction in Older Adults and Persons with Neurologic Conditions (e.g. Stroke, Parkinson’s Disease, Multiple Sclerosis)
11:15 Screening & Assessment Clinical Practice Guidelines
Toolkits and Resources for Easy Implementation
12:00 LUNCH - ON YOUR OWN 1:00 Functional Assessment Measures: Utilization and Interpretation Overview 1:30 Sitting Balance: Functional Assessment Measures and Treatment Strategies: Demonstration and Lab 3:00 BREAK 3:15 Sensory Aspects of Balance: Functional Assessment Measures and Treatment Strategies: Demonstration and Lab
5:30 Questions & Answers, Adjourn
8:00 Standing Stability and Mobility: Functional Assessment Measures
9:45 BREAK 10:00 Standing Stability and Mobility: Functional Assessment Measures (con’t): Lab
11:00 Intervention Strategies to Improve Balance
Key Components for Success
11:30 Standing Stability and Mobility: Treatment Strategies: Demonstration and Lab 12:00 LUNCH - ON YOUR OWN 1:00 Standing Stability and Mobility: Treatment Strategies (con’t): Demonstration and Lab 2:00 Interdisciplinary Fall Prevention Interventions: Clinical Practice Guidelines and Best Practice 3:00 BREAK 3:15 Emerging Treatment Strategies 3:45 Integrating Clinical and Community-Based Services to Improve Balance and Prevent Falls 5:00 Questions & Answers, Adjourn
Registration fee less a $75 administrative charge is refundable if cancellation received 14 days prior to program date. No refunds will be given after that time. Therapy Network, Inc. reserves the right to cancel a seminar and will refund in full the registration fee only. TNI is NOT responsible for registrants nonrefundable airfare, accommodations or fees.